While having a conversation with my mom the other night, she shared that while she was pregnant with me she ate a lot, a lot of lentils. I laughed and said “no wonder I love lentils so much.” I could eat lentils everyday! During the winter time is when I eat the most lentils; as my all time favorite lentil dish is moms lentil soup.
Over the years, I’ve made a couple of small changes to my moms soup to bring out and even more bold flavor. Today, I present you with my Chipotle Lentil Soup. This soup is spicy, acidic, warm, and delicious of course! I hope you enjoy.
Serves approximately 4 people
1 cup lentils
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cups chopped tomato
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 chipotle en adobo
3 sprigs of cilantro
10 cups water
3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Cook lentils for about 20 minutes in 6 cups of water, then drain.
- In a pot sauté the onions for about 5 minutes under low heat (do not brown them).
- Add the cloves of garlic and allow them to sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes and sauté for another 6 minutes.
- Now add the cumin, black pepper, and curry powder. Mix well and add the lentils.
- Finally, add the chipotle and the water. Bring to a boil then cover and cook for at least 50 minutes under low heat.
- At 40 minutes of cooking, add the cilantro. You can remove before serving.
When serving I always add several drops of lime to each plate. The acidity in the lime will bring a perfect balance.
Feel free to post your comments or questions.
All content © 2013 AdrianaGuillen.com All rights reserved. You may not take any images or content from this site without written permission.