Every once in a while I like to give your recipes that are Mexican yet involve one or two ingredients that are not. For example you might remember the Vegetarian Mexican Sushi Roll and Tofu Al Mojo de Ajo. Today I present you another one of these recipes: Cilantro and Roasted Jalapeño Hummus.
I know hummus is not Mexican but when you look at my ingredients you find that it’s pretty close to a salsa. I simply substituted the tomatoes for garbanzo beans. Plus, who does’t like hummus? Enjoy!
Yields: approximately 2 cups
1 1/2 cup cooked garbanzo (chickpea) beans
1 cup cilantro
1 1/2 jalapeños (or less for less heat)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (or 1 tablespoon tahini paste)
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons garbanzo cooking liquid
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon infused olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
- Roast the jalapeño and garlic on a comal, skillet, or broiler. Remove when they are charred on all sides. Then remove as much skin as possible.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until you achieve a smooth consistency.
That’s it! How easy, right?
I like to eat my hummus with thick flour tortillas. Only if I make them at home though, I don’t like processed tortillas. So here is my quick Tortilla Bread recipe.
Yields: approximately 10 small tortillas
Ingredients for Tortilla Bread recipe:
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
Plus approximately 1/2 cup flour to knead
- Mix flour and salt first. Then add water and oil.
- If dough is too sticky add more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach a sticky soft dough.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is soft.
- Separate dough into 10 small balls.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the balls of dough until they are about 1/8th inch thick and round.
- Cook on a comal or skillet for about 1 minute on each side under medium-low heat. If using the comal allow them to have a little bit of char.
Yum! So delicious!!
Feel free to post your comments or questions.
All content © 2013 AdrianaGuillen.com All rights reserved. You may not take any images or content from this site without written permission.