To watch step by step instructions on this recipe click HERE.
Besides being a very traditional breakfast recipe of Mexico, Huevos Rancheros, is one of my favorite dishes to eat on Sunday mornings.
The first secret in making delicious Huevos Rancheros is in the salsa you prepare. It is important that you make it from scratch so you can have control of the flavor, the heat level you prefer, and of course because it’s much healthier. The salsa I prefer is a chunky tomato salsa with a little bit of heat.
My favorite egg to cook for this recipe is a basted egg. However, you can cook your eggs whichever way you like best.
Yields Approximately 2 Cups of Salsa
1/4 cup oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 chopped Serrano peppers
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
- In a sauce pan bring 2 tablespoons of oil under medium heat.
- First, add the onion and sauté it for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and serrano peppers and sauté that for about 2 more minutes. You want to bring out the flavors of the onions, garlic, and serranos but not brown them.
- Sauté the cumin very quickly then add the tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Sauté this for about 3 minutes and add the cilantro.
- Lastly, add the water, lower the heat, and cook down the salsa for at least 15 minutes.
- To baste the egg cover the bottom of a pan with some oil and bring it to medium heat.
- Crack an egg open and carefully drop it into the pan. Sprinkle a little bit of salt.
- Tilt your pan to bring the oil to one side and using a spoon grab some of the oil and pour it over your egg. This will help to cook the top part very lightly.
- Once the edges are a little crispy but the yolk is still runny the egg is done.
To plate Huevos Rancheros you place tortillas on the bottom, add your eggs on top, and top it with as much salsa as you want. I like to also sprinkle a generous amount of lime juice to bring some acidity and balance.