I’m sure most of us could relate to the comfort a bowl of soup can bring us when we are fighting a cold. Since it seems that almost everyone around me has been sick, I wanted to share a very delicious but most importantly, very healthy Mexican vegetable soup.
My Sopa Mexicana de Vegetales brings me beautiful memories of my mom taking care of me with her delicious food whenever I was sick. Thank you mom for taking care of me so well all my life.
Now, you don’t have to be sick to enjoy it but it will soothe your soul if you are. Enjoy!
Yields: approximately 6 large servings
2 medium potatoes
2 medium vine ripe tomatoes
2 fresh corn on the cob
1 celery stick
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of coarse salt
8 sprigs of cilantro
2 teaspoon whole cumin
2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 egg (omit for a vegan soup)
10 cups of water
- Roughly chop all vegetables, excluding the cilantro and garlic. You can also cut your corn into 1 inch rounds if you would like.
- In a large pot bring the water to a boil then add all the vegetables and salt.
- Simmer soup (under low heat) for about 15 minutes then add cumin, black pepper, and oregano. Continue to simmer soup for an additional 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water until well mixed.
- Slowly, drop the egg into the soup while mixing. The purpose of the egg is to add flavor. Mix fast so that the egg almost disappears into the soup (no clumps).
- Add the cilantro sprigs and simmer for another 10 minutes.
This Soup is done!
Not only is this soup flavorful but it is very healthy. You could saute the carrots, onions, tomatoes, garlic and spices with olive oil first but this is much healthier. Also, you could include chicken or beef if you’re not vegetarian. Regardless of how you prepare it make sure to enjoy it with tons of lime juice and cilantro.
Feel free to post your comments or questions.
All content © 2013 AdrianaGuillen.com All rights reserved. You may not take any images or content from this site without written permission.