As the summer is still in full force and your grills are getting much attention I wanted to give you a yummy spicy side dish: Rajas.
Rajas are roasted poblano peppers that have been cooked with corn and some type of cream or cheese. I love crema agria but you can use sour cream, Crème fraîche, cream cheese, or any type of soft cheese. Regardless of what cream or cheese you use it will add a tangy and creamy flavor.
It is very common that you serve Rajas with a steak or carne asada. For us veggies I made a grilled peppered tofu!
Yields: approximately 2 servings
1/2 block extra firm tofu
3 poblano peppers
1/2 small onion
1/2 cup yellow corn
1/4 crema agria
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
Nutritional yeast to taste
1 large lime
- Roast poblano peppers in broiler, open flame, grill, comal, skillet whatever is easiest for you. Roast them until they have blackened.
- In the meantime, drain, wash, and dry off tofu block.
- Cut tofu into 1/4 inch fillets. Sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper on each side and a dash of salt.
- Once peppers are roasted, drop into a plastic bag for about 1 minute. The steam will help to make it easier to remove the skins. Remove as much of the skins as possible.
- Place tofu fillets on the grill, grill pan, or comal. Make sure it’s really hot before you do so. Grill each side for about 3 minutes.
- Once tofu is done sprinkle nutritional yeast on each side while still hot.
- Grill corn and then remove kernels. If using frozen corn drop it into a hot skillet to char for about 3-5 minutes. Works almost the same.
- Cut poblano peppers open. Remove all seeds and veins if looking for a very mild taste. Then cut into 1/8 inch strips.
- In an extended skillet, heat the olive oil (over medium heat) then add corn and onions. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the poblano strips and sauté for about another 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add crema agria. Mix well until all of the items are incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly, add some lime juice to every piece of tofu and cut as you please.
- Serve immediately.
Spicy, sweet, smoky, and creamy.
Feel free to post your comments or questions.
All content © 2013 AdrianaGuillen.com All rights reserved. You may not take any images or content from this site without written permission.